Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Trail Ridge Road, RMNP

On our first trip to Disney World in Florida Henry and I stood for ages outside the Tower of Terror trying to find the courage to go on the ride. We did it (never again) and we bought the tee shirts. As I ate my breakfast looking up at the mountains I had the same feeling. Trail Ridge Road is one of the highest continuously paved roads in the world.

I set off really early to avoid traffic. I didn't want to hold everyone up as I crawled up the mountain.

It was a beautiful day. At the entrance to Trail Ridge Road sits this drive through coffee shop. They served chicken fried latte! No I didn't try it.

The Ranger in the booth said that Trail Ridge Road was clear and that I would be fine, just to take care around Rainbow Curve and that 'it only lasts for a few seconds'...

On the way up there are plenty of pull-ins so that you can take in the amazing scenery

About half way up, looking back at the road.

I stopped just before Rainbow curve.

As you can see there are low walls here but the stretch shortly after this had a sheer drop and no walls. For more than a few seconds.

I didn't stop to photograph it.

Now I am at the Tundra level.

This is what that means.

The landscape is glacial.

This is how I know.

No cars around but there are bikes! Good grief!

Next stop is the Forest Canyon overlook.

We are now above the tree line. Me and the elk that is.

And above the snow.

And above the trees, and some of the clouds.

Welcome to the Alpine Ridge Visitor Centre.

What a relief.

It is freezing up here and very quiet.

Lovely shop and cafe.

 

Coffee with an amazing view.

The road is closed for most of the year because of snow.

It opened in 1932.

It's getting busier now.

 

On the way down I crossed the Continental Divide and a boggy meadow where the mighty Colorado River has its source.

It's nowhere near as scary going down.

Oh, and I bought the tee shirt!

 

1 comment:

  1. WHAT AN AMAZING TRIP LIZZIE!

    I bet it will be a bit of a shock coming back to little Andover. XX

    ReplyDelete