Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bear Lake, RMNP

There are bears in Estes Park. I didn't see any but apparently they come down at night and look for food which is why all of the rubbish bins have elaborate locks and the hummingbird feeders are taken in at night.

Today I got up really early and headed into the park. If you get in before 8am you can drive down to the trailheads, after that you have to take a shuttle bus and I was told that the queues could be long. I'm so glad I went early. There were very few people around. I drove to Bear Lake and did three trails, about two miles each but mostly uphill so they felt a lot longer.

I started with Bear Lake itself. It is impossible to take a bad picture here. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

The NPS do a brilliant job of maintaining the trails.

 

I sat here for ages.

There was hardly anyone about, except this fellow.

There are dozens of lakes in the mountains. I decided to hike up to Nymph Lake next.

It was covered with these flowers.

Then on to Alberta Falls.

I took hundreds of photographs. The rangers appeared frequently to tell you more about the park.

I hiked back to Bear Lake for one more look. The water is so clear.

It is hard to choose which photograph to post.

I'm driving over the mountains along Trail Ridge Road tomorrow. I wish I hadn't looked at it on YouTube first. It looks scary.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment