Thursday, August 1, 2013

Number 1 Gatwick

I don't usually frequent airport lounges, in fact I only fairly recently realised their existence. On our way back from Sri Lanka last year we were made aware of a lounge in Muscat airport. We managed to do a deal and the sixteen of us spent a blissful two hours eating, relaxing, charging phones and generally chilling out after our efforts at the Project.

Upon arriving at Gatwick yesterday I realised that the three hours prior to boarding would not be much fun as a good deal of the airport was closed for building work. So the thousands of waiting passengers were squashed into an even smaller space. I set off to find a solution and discovered number 1 Gatwick.

For the princely sum of £22.50 I was gained entry to a lounge offering free cooked breakfast and all you can eat buffet bar, free drinks including alcohol, free newspapers and magazines and most importantly a comfy armchair and very few people. Also a good view of the Virgin Atlantic plane being loaded. They also gave me 250 air miles. Highly recommended.

VS 43 left on time and it was a brilliant uneventful flight. I managed to watch five films which is more than I've seen in the cinema in a year.

  • Guilt trip: sweet film about a slightly batty single mother going on a road trip with her son. Barbra Streisand was brilliant. Been there.
  • Silver linings play book: enjoyed this although I thought Jennifer Lawrence overacted a bit. But then I think she got an Oscar so what do I know?
  • Argo: missed this in cinema but now I know what all the fuss was about. Brilliant film.
  • Ethel: surprise entry here but well worth watching. It's a bio of Ethel Kennedy, widow of Bobby Kennedy. She was, and still is, clearly an amazing lady. She had 11 children!
  • Promised Land: if you've seen Local Hero then this is the American equivalent. Ok.

Am now safely at Hilton Garden Inn Henderson. More later.

Nite.

 

3 comments:

  1. This is very impressive! I will be following avidly. have a great time!
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, just worked out how to reply! Found an amazing teachers shop today, the size of big tesco......
      You would love Estes Park xx

      Delete
  2. A great blog Lizzie! Thanks for sharing this superb trip. Have a brilliant time! sou x

    ReplyDelete