Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Gallup, New Mexico

I have followed Route 66 for 200 miles to the east and I am now in Gallup, New Mexico. It is near to many Native American reservations so the place has a similar feel to Kayenta near Monument Valley. There are many trading post style shops and turquoise jewellery is sold everywhere. The railway has stayed with me all the way and I have enjoyed watching the bright red BNSF engines race by with over 100 container carriages trailing behind.

I decided to gamble with the hotel. Tripadvisor had mixed reviews of the El Rancho but its association with Route 66 and the film industry was hard to resist. It is certainly different. All of the rooms are named for a film star, my room is the William Bendix room and I must confess that I have never heard of him. A passing American couple said that I was lucky to have that room as they liked him very much. Here he is.

 

Apparently he was in the film Babe Ruth and the long running sitcom Life of Riley. His photo is above my bed.

The foyer of the hotel is stunning. If you have been to Death Valley Ranch aka Scotty's Castle then it is just like the grand entrance hall where Scotty would sit passing the time with Albert and Bessie Johnson. One of our hire cars was affectionately known as Bessie in her honour.

The next photo is taken from the doorway of my room.

My room is nothing to write home about. The hotel dates from 1937 and very little has changed. I am sure the bath is the original one. The water runs red for some reason and there is a strange smell about the place although everything is very clean.

I walked to the old district which was quite interesting and centred around the railway station. I passed a lot of pawn shops and many of the shops were empty so I guess things are tough here too.

 

This theatre has seen better days.

Around the town there was a lot of random pavement art.

I found a lovely cafe and had a delicious iced coffee.

The hotel restaurant served me an amazing steak and I am now sitting outside watching the sun go down over the desert. In the distance I can see an amazing electric storm.

Goodnight from Gallup.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment